220.127.116.11 Lab – Perform Preventive Maintenance on a Laser Printer Answers
Lab – Perform Preventive Maintenance on a Laser Printer (Answers Version)
Answers Note: Red font color or gray highlights indicate text that appears in the Answers copy only.
In this lab, you will perform preventive maintenance on a laser printer.
Note: The lab instructions are for general reference only. Refer to the manufacturer’s printer manual for instructions to perform preventive maintenance on your laser printer model.
- 1 laser printer
- Printer manual or Internet access to view the printer manual
Step 1: Locate the printer manual.
The printer manual may be provided by your Answers or navigate to the printer manufacturer’s web site to download a copy of the printer manual for your printer model.
Step 2: Replace the toner cartridge.
- Check that power is off.
- Open the cartridge access door.
- Lift up the toner cartridge and remove it from the slot.
- Remove the new cartridge from the packaging.
- You may need to shake the toner cartridge a few times to distribute the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Remove any tabs, sealing tapes, or drum protective covers as necessary.
- Place the new cartridge in the slot and carefully press the cartridge into place.
- When all the cartridges have been replaced, close the cartridge access door.
Step 3: Replace the fuser unit.
- Turn off the printer and make sure it is cool before proceeding.
- Open the access door to the fuser unit.
- Grab the handle of the fuser unit and remove it from the printer. CAUTION: IT MAY BE HOT.
- Remove the new fuser from its packaging and replace the fuser.
- Close the access door.
Step 4: Replace rollers.
If after changing the paper it is not feeding properly, the paper path rollers may be dirty.
- Turn off the printer.
- Pull out the paper tray.
- Locate the rollers.
- Wipe the rollers with clean dampened cloth or replace them.
- Push in the paper tray.
Refer to the printer manual. What other preventive maintenance can be performed for the printer?
Answers will vary. Some of the examples are: replace the photoconductor unit and replace the waste toner collector.